Do you want to get a better understanding of the issues surrounding dementia – one of the major health issues of the 21st century? A Tasmanian MOOC could help!
The Wicking Dementia Centre based in the University of Tasmania is offering a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC), about the latest in dementia research and care. This free course provides an opportunity to learn and understand about some of the issues relating to Dementia without requiring exams or assignments.
Dementia covers a whole range of degenerative disorders appearing as a progressive decline in functioning that affects cognitive skills, personality and behaviour. It has a significant effect on individuals, families and communities, and poses unique challenges to their quality of life
The course provides information to maximise quality of life across the trajectory of dementia for people with the condition, their families and caregivers. The aim is to be accessible and appealing to people from diverse backgrounds, whether you are an individual with an interest in brain health and/or dementia risk reduction, or an allied health professional, clinician, health service provider or health policy professional.
To obtain the most from this course, participants should expect to spend approximately 3 hours per week engaging with the content and completing related course activities. There are 7 weeks of scheduled content. After completing the final quizzes for all three modules of the course: ‘The Brain’, ‘The Diseases’ and ‘The Person’, participants will be eligible to download a certificate of completion.
- ‘The Brain’ provides background content on basic nervous system anatomy and function, followed by a discussion of the diseases that cause dementia, current dementia research and future directions.
- ‘The Diseases’ explores differences between normal ageing and dementia, risk factors, issues surrounding diagnosis, as well as medical management.
- ‘The Person’ addresses difficulties in recognising symptoms, living with dementia, palliation, pain, dementia friendly communities, dementia inclusive design, and non-pharmacological therapies.
The Understanding Dementia MOOC was developed by the Wicking Dementia Research and Education Centre based in the College of Health and Medicine at the University of Tasmania. This world-leading online course is free, easily accessible and available to everyone with an interest in dementia.
Course at a glance
- Opens: 8th Feb 2022, 9:00am (AEDT)
- Duration: 7 Weeks
- Location: Online Course
- Completion Certificate: Yes
- Cost: FREE
For more information, including a course description, go to: Understanding Dementia
You can enrol from there or go to: Understanding Dementia MOOC