Te Wiki Kaumātua – Seniors’ Week is held in spring every year and sees a series of community-led events for older people across the city.
Age Concern Wellington Region is excited about Seniors’ Week, even if Covid-19 has already had an impact on some events. Level 2 has meant some of the events have had to be postponed, but it’s still a great opportunity to highlight the amazing services and programmes available for seniors all over the city.
Below are some highlights of the week. Because we may still be in Level 2, please make sure you contact the event organisers first to see if the event is still on.
To download the full booklet from the Wellington City Council, click here.
Age Concern’s events:
- Steady As You Go events – some are cancelled, but others are taking place. Please call Ann on 04 499 6648
- Steady As You Go taster class – this is going ahead! 10am, Thursday 7 October at the St Peter’s Church Garden Room, 211 Willis Street. Join our SAYGo supeerstar Ann Dalziel as she demonstrates the Steady As You Go programme and explains how it works. This is a taster class designed for anyone interested in finding out more about SAYGO.
- Staying Safe Driving Courses – both courses (Thursday and Friday) are postponed due to Level 2. However, we will be hosting these in the future so please contact us if you are interested. Phone 04 499 6648
- Tea and Tech workshop – this is also postponed. We will host this later, so please contact us for more information and to book your space. Phone 04 499 6648
Some of the other events are listed below. Please contact the event organisers before turning up. More information on each of these events is in the official booklet which you can download here.
Sunday 3 October
- Tawa Menzshed open day
- Classic Canvas with Inverlochy Art School
Monday 4 October
- A load of Rubbish: Display Day
- Fragrant Xigong – Xiang Gong
Tuesday 5 October
- Social Drama – Karori
- Tour and Picnic of Miramar Prison Garden
- Tea and Tales with the Island Bay U3A
- Generation Link High Tea
Wednesday 6 October
- Historical Bus Tour
- Parliament Tour
- Movie Magic: Three Summers
- Beginners Line Dancing
- Stroke Foundation Van
- City Central Walking Tour
Thursday 7 October
- Resilience in the Senior Years
- Beginners Technology Workshop
- Seniors Heavenly Fitness – WalkFIT
Friday 8 October
- Wellington Botanic Garden Tour and Morning Tea
- Senior Lunch
- Samaritans open their doors
There are heaps more events, so do check out the official website and download the brochure. If you would like a physical copy, you can call us for one.