Helping our seniors connect with their community in an important part of what we do and now it’s more important than ever. Fortunately, some of our most isolated and vulnerable people in the community are already connected with volunteers through our Volunteer Visitor Service. However, over the next few weeks and months there will be many more people needing volunteer support.
What we’re doing
- Help with shopping and essential items – We’ll connect seniors who need help with shopping with volunteers in their area to ensure they are able to stay safe at home. Shopping will need to be left in an agreed place so you can maintain distance. We’re also asking people to try and limit the use of cash where possible by coming to an arrangement for reimbursement. This could be by online banking or cheque – please do not share bank cards or PIN numbers. We also recommend setting a limit to the amount to be spent to ensure there’s no confusion.
- Become a phone friend – volunteer to give someone a regular call to make sure they’re okay and keep their spirits up. Whether you’re older or younger it’s nice to have a friendly chat.
- Become a pen pal – bring joy to someone’s day and rediscover the lost art of letter writing. Letters can be sent by email and NZ Post where possible. We’ll match people who would like to keep in touch through a regular letter.
- Our weekly Chatter email newsletter will provide information, encouragement and entertainment! If you use email please sign up to Chatter. We know not everyone has email so we’re asking volunteers to print and deliver it to seniors in their area.
- Advice and support – we’re continuing to give advice and support to seniors by phone and email on the contacts below.
If you would like to request help with shopping please call 04 499 6648 or 04 499 6646 or email email@example.com.
If you would like to volunteer, please complete the form below so we know where you are and how you’d like to help.
Please keep in touch with what’s happening through our weekly Chatter email newsletter. Subscribe here.
Yes I'd like to help!
Thank you for volunteering – together we can get through this and build a stronger community for the future